The Lost Dogs' Home is one of Victoria’s most iconic animal welfare organisations, caring for thousands of lost and abandoned dogs and cats each year. We are a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to providing outstanding care to animals who find their way to us.
The Lost Dogs' Home provides a casual and after-hours animal ambulance service in North Melbourne, Cranbourne and surrounding areas. We are looking for candidates who have exceptional animal handling skills, flexibility and commitment to work a rotating roster, including after hours and weekends.
This integral role is critical to our success as a leading animal welfare organisation. In this role you will be responsible for ensuring that domestic animals and livestock are safely transported to the appropriate holding facility. This role is a 12-month parental leave back fill position.
Key responsibilities include:
- Receiving jobs via the council's after-hours service and acknowledging them in a timely manner
- Attending to stray, contained, injured and wandering large domestic animals and livestock within your allocated area
- Confidently handling all animals to ensure their safety and welfare
- Liaising with members of the public, council representatives and other external stakeholders, including the police and veterinary clinics, both in person and via telephone
- Recording accurate details of stray animals collected into our database
- Checking, maintaining and cleaning equipment and vehicles
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- Certificate in Animal Studies and/or relevant qualifications (desired)
- A current drivers' licence, held for over 1 year, with a proven track record of safe driving
- Excellent animal handling skills including high risk dogs and livestock
- Experience working with animals in a shelter type environment (desired)
- Flexibility to work after various hours, overnight, weekends and/or public holidays
- Strong self-motivation and confidence to work alone at night, travelling varying distances within set contractual response times
- Exceptional customer service and problem-solving skills
- A passion for animal welfare
What we can offer you:
- Unique work environment, supporting a great cause
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program
- Access to our foster care program
- Discounts at our Vet Clinic Frank Samways
If you are interested in this position, please click on the “Apply” button, ensuring you have attached your cover letter and current resume in Word or PDF format. If you have any queries about this position, please email email@example.com
The successful applicant will be required to complete satisfactory background screening checks.
The Lost Dogs’ Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.