The Lost Dogs' Home (LDH) is proud to be Australia's largest animal shelter, helping thousands of lost and abandoned animals each year. We are a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to providing outstanding veterinary care to animals who find their way to us and have been serving the community for over 100 years.
The Role - Part Time Animal Attendant (Two roles available, 45 - 60 hours per fortnight)
We have opportunities for individuals who are looking for a career in animal welfare to join the team in North Melbourne as an Animal Attendant. The role of the Animal Attendant is to ensure the animals in the shelter are provided with the highest level of day-to-day care, which includes cleaning, feeding and animal enrichment.
Key responsibilities include:
- General handling and husbandry of our shelter animals, including cleaning, feeding and enrichment
- Driving jobs, including transporting animals between shelters and council pounds
- Identifying and reporting animals that are ill or have behavioural issues
- Assisting members of the public with lost and found inquiries
- Liaising with the general public and council officers
- General cleaning and maintaining of the shelter, including laundry and vehicles
- Maintaining up-to-date records of all impounded animals
- Maintaining food stock levels
We are seeking driven, enthusiastic individuals, who have previous experience working in a similar animal handling role. Our new Animal Attendant will enjoy a fast paced working environment and is looking to further their skills in an animal shelter capacity. The successful candidate must be willing to work a rotating roster, including weekends.
To be successful in this role, you will also have:
- Experience working or volunteering with animals in a professional capacity
- A recognised animal-related qualification/s (desired)
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- A current driver's licence (desired)
- Sound emotional maturity and ethics regarding animals and their welfare
- The ability to display initiative and motivation
- A reasonable level of fitness and the ability and motivation to work in a physically demanding role
What you will get in return:
- Fantastic career development and opportunities
- Discounts at our vet clinic, Frank Samways Veterinary Clinic
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program and onsite counselling service
- A unique, friendly and supportive working environment
- Rewarding work with animals in need
If you are looking to use your animal handling skills to better the lives of shelter animals and would like to join our team, please click on the “Apply” button, ensuring you have attached your cover letter and current resume in Word or PDF format.
The successful applicant will be required to complete satisfactory background screening checks.
The Lost Dogs’ Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.