Head of Veterinary Services
The Lost Dogs' Home (LDH) is proud to be Australia's largest animal shelter, helping thousands of lost and abandoned animals each year. We are a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to providing outstanding veterinary care to animals who find their way to us and have been serving the community for over 100 years.
About the Role
The Head of Veterinary Services is responsible for leading the veterinary services team to deliver quality veterinary services at both our North Melbourne and Cranbourne shelters and to our customers at our private veterinary clinic, Frank Samways (FSVC).
In this key role, you will oversee critical work performed by our dedicated team of veterinarians and nursing staff that are committed to the animals in our care. You will implement strategies to improve efficiencies and engage all stakeholders with a continuous improvement mindset.
Equally, you will drive change to enhance profitability of the FSVC by implementing strategies to increase revenue, gain new business and improve efficiencies.
Effective and engaging people leadership will be an essential for success in this role. The Head of Veterinary Services will lead and motivate a team of professionals, sharing their expert knowledge and experience. You will promote the personal and professional growth of your team to strive to never stop learning and foster a positive working environment.
Some key responsibilities include:
- Oversee and leadership of all veterinary services, surgical and medical cases, ensuring the delivery of high standard service to the animals in our care;
- Implement and develop specialist veterinary services to position LDH as a leader in animal welfare;
- Design and implement strategies, to improve operational effectiveness and financial performance of both shelter veterinary services and at FSVC;
- Manage, lead and develop staff, setting objectives which align with LDH’s strategic plan, recruit and retain key talent;
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation and oversee clinical practice to ensue staff maintain ethical practices in accordance with AVA Professional Conduct.
You will be a highly skilled and experienced veterinary professional, with previous leadership experience and possess strong commercial acumen with the ability to identify opportunities and problems, as well as developing plans and strategic initiatives.
Ideally, you will have a proven track record of running a successful private practice or other commercial venture and possess strong operational skills. You will have a passion for process improvements, which lead to quality animal care, positive relationships with stakeholders and client satisfaction.
We are looking for a leader who is a forward thinker, with resilience, creativity, and vision to drive change and strive for continuous improvement in shelter and private practice veterinary medicine. You will encourage a collaborative work environment, and guide and support your team to achieve their goals and perform to a high standard.
What We Offer You:
- Fantastic career development with the challenge of shelter work and extensive opportunities to develop skills in animal welfare and the unique area of shelter medicine.
- Excellent remuneration, including support and financial assistance for approved studies and developmental activities.
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program and on-site counselling service
- Opportunity to be involved in special projects.
If you share our vision and are an innovative and forward-thinking veterinary leader who is looking to combine their passion for animal welfare and private practice, this could be the opportunity for you. This is a unique leadership role where you can help transform the lives of shelter animals and work for an organisation which gives back to the community.
If you would like to learn more about The Lost Dogs’ Home visit us at https://dogshome.com/
If this position sounds like you, please apply now ensuring you have included a copy of a cover letter and resume. If you have any questions regarding this role, please email Carla.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The successful applicant will be required to complete satisfactory background screening checks.
The Lost Dogs' Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.