Part Time Shelter Behaviour Trainer - 46 hours per fortnight
The Lost Dogs' Home (LDH) is proud to be Australia's largest animal shelter, helping thousands of lost and abandoned animals each year. We are a not-for-profit organisation that has been serving the community for over 100 years. We are dedicated to providing compassionate veterinary care to all animals who find their way to us.
We have an exciting and unique opportunity for an experienced Animal Behaviour Trainer to join our Behaviour Department on a part time basis. You will play an important part in facilitating our behaviour program, working with our shelter animals in need of extra care. Our Behaviour Trainers practice and teach force-free, positive reinforcement-based training methods, and you will be responsible for practicing this method of behaviour training.
The Behaviour Department is responsible for overseeing canine behavioural assessments and designing a treatment plan for dogs in their care. The Behaviour Department also works closely with other departments to assist with behavioural issues and oversee environmental enrichment programs throughout the Home.
Your responsibilities will be:
- Performing behaviour assessments of shelter dogs under the direction of the Animal Behaviour Team Leader
- Implementing behaviour modification treatment plans and managing own case load
- Supporting shelter staff and fellow team members in achieving positive outcomes
- Providing excellent customer service to all internal and external clients of the Home
- Engaging in administrative tasks as required
You will have:
- Relevant qualification in dog training and canine behaviour or working towards a relevant qualification
- Experience working professionally as a Dog Behaviour Trainer (essential)
- Confidence with handling dogs of varying temperaments
- Prior experience working in a shelter environment (highly desirable)
- A commitment to positive reinforcement-based training methods
- Passion for animal behaviour and welfare
- Willingness to work as part of a wider team and also autonomously
- High degree of emotional maturity
What we can offer you:
- Unique work environment, supporting a great cause
- A rewarding job opportunity to help change the lives of shelter animals
- Career development opportunities and financial assistance with approved studies
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program and onsite counselling service
- Discounts at our Vet Clinic, Frank Samways
- Friendly, passionate and supportive team who will help develop your skills in animal welfare
If you are interested in this position, please apply ensuring you have included a copy of a current cover letter and resume. If you have any questions regarding this role, please email email@example.com.
The successful applicant will be required to complete satisfactory background screening checks.
The Lost Dogs’ Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.