Part Time Shelter Veterinary Nurse – Cranbourne – 45.6 hours per fortnight, 3 days per week
Here at The Lost Dogs' Home, we provide veterinary care and treatment for more than 20,000 cats and dogs each year. Our shelter hospital provides a high standard of veterinary care for all stray, surrendered and injured animals as prepare them for their new life.
Our team of highly skilled vets and nurses love the excitement of shelter work and love that they play such an integral part of an animal’s journey to finding a forever home. You will be supported by a team who will provide guidance and mentorship along the way, and you will have the opportunity to further develop your nursing skills in the unique world of shelter medicine.
This is a rewarding nursing opportunity, a unique role where you will come across some exciting cases you might not see in private practice. With no client involvement, you are not required to do any reception work or consultations, leaving more time to provide quality care to the lost and abandoned animals.
On a day to day basis you will be:
- Caring for hospitalised animals using stress-free handling techniques, surgical preparation and monitoring anaesthesia
- Identifying, treating & reporting animals that are ill or have behavioural problems
- Triage of incoming shelter animals and providing initial health assessment
- Caring out veterinary procedures under the guidance of a Veterinarian
- Administering medication to the shelter animals (dogs, cats and other pocket pets)
We are looking for a nurse who shares our vision of promoting responsible pet ownership and who is committed to a career in the exciting world of shelter medicine. You will be supported by a fantastic, highly skilled veterinary team, as well as supportive colleagues and mentors.
You will have:
- Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing or equivalent
- 2+ years’ experience as a Veterinary Nurse (desired)
- Exceptional animal handling skills and knowledge of animal behaviour
- Ability to work under pressure in fast-paced environments
- Passion for animal care and an advocate for best practice
What we can offer you:
- Monday – Friday role, no weekend work!
- Fantastic career development and opportunities in shelter medicine, financial assistance for approved studies and development opportunities
- Animals only role, no client facing responsibilities
- Paid parental leave entitlements
- Opportunity to work in collaboration with our specialised behaviour team
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program
- A compassionate, supportive and proud work environment
If you believe you are the right candidate for this role, we would love to hear from you! Please apply now via our careers page. We are happy to provide more information on request, please email email@example.com
If you would like to learn more about The Lost Dogs’ Home visit us at https://dogshome.com/
The successful applicant will be required to complete satisfactory background screening checks.
The Lost Dogs' Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.