Permanent Full Time Opportunity & 12-Month Parental Leave Backfill role
Here at The Lost Dogs' Home, we provide veterinary care and treatment for more than 20,000 cats and dogs each year. Our shelter hospital provides a high standard of veterinary care for all stray, surrendered and injured animals as prepare them for their new life.
Our team of highly skilled vets and nurses love the excitement of shelter work and love that they play such an integral part of an animals journey to finding a forever home. You will be supported by a team who will provide guidance and mentorship along the way, and you will have the opportunity to further develop your nursing skills in the unique world of shelter medicine.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Triage of incoming shelter animals and providing initial health assessment
- Rotating through hospital, ward, surgical and support nursing roles
- Carrying out veterinary procedures under the guidance of the Veterinarian
- Ensuring comprehensive records of admissions, care, treatments, rehabilitation and outcomes are maintained.
- Identifying, treating and reporting animals that are ill or have behavioural problems.
We are looking for a vet nurse who shares our vision of promoting responsible pet ownership and animal welfare and who are committed towards providing the best care to animals. Additionally you will have:
- Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing or equivalent
- Minimum 2+ years nursing experience
- Experience in a busy shelter medicine or emergency clinic environment (preferred)
- Exceptional animal handling skills and knowledge of animal behaviour
- Passion for animal care and an advocate for best practice
- Flexibility to work a rotating roster
What we can offer you:
- Fantastic career development and opportunities to develop skills not only shelter medicine but also in the animal welfare industry
- An animals only role, no reception or client facing duties
- A compassionate, supportive and proud work environment
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program and onsite counselling service
- Discounts at our Frank Samways Vet Clinic
If you are interested in joining our team, please apply now by ensuring you have included a copy of your cover letter and resume. If you have any queries regarding the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The successful applicant will be required to satisfactorily complete background screening checks.
The Lost Dogs’ Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.