Veterinary Nurse - Permanent Full Time & Part Time opportunities
Frank Samways is not your ordinary vet clinic, we are a truly unique clinic in the community, with proceeds from the clinic going directly into helping lost and stray animals at The Lost Dogs' Home. We are modern, purpose built clinic providing full veterinary services to the public, adopters, and foster carers of The Lost Dogs’ Home. Working for Frank Samways is a truly rewarding role, as you will be a part of a not-for-profit organisation that has been serving the community for over 110 years.
A typical day looks like:
Our nurses are very hands on, and are proud of their high level of patient care. Our nurses run their own surgical inductions, consults and complex anaesthetics, so this is great opportunity to grow and develop your nursing skills. Some of your key responsibilities in this role are:
- Undertaking nursing duties, including caring for hospitalised animals, surgical preparation and monitoring anaesthesia
- Performing consultations, providing animal care information on husbandry, nutrition, parasite control and behaviour to pet owners
- Mentoring and guiding our trainee nurses and students
- Assisting the shelter veterinary team when required
We are looking for a vet nurse with commitment towards the best care and welfare of animals and someone who is willing to jump in and learn new things.
- Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing or equivalent
- Minimum 2+ years nursing experience
- Experience in a busy clinic environment (preferred)
- Exceptional animal handling skills and knowledge of animal behaviour
- Passion for animal care and an advocate for stress-free nursing techniques
- Ability to work under pressure in fast-paced environments
- Flexibility to work a rotating roster, including weekends and public holidays
What we can offer you
Along with our vet and reception team, you will be supported by a highly skilled, devoted nursing team, who are all working towards the same goal of providing the highest standard of care to our patients. We also offer:
- The opportunity to work on unique surgery and welfare cases from the shelter that you won’t see in other clinics
- Opportunity to work in a purpose built clinic with modern and updated equipment, dental x-rays etc.
- A large and varied case load, no day is the same!
- Excellent remuneration and penalty rates for weekends and public holidays
- Fantastic career development and opportunities to develop skills in animal welfare and shelter medicine, financial assistance for studies
- A compassionate, supportive, and proud work environment
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program and onsite counselling service
If this position excites you and you are looking forward to a new challenge at Frank Samways, apply now! If you have any questions regarding this role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Orders
LDH volunteers are considered to be ‘veterinary and pet/ animal care workers’ under the COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (General Workers) Order (Order) issued by Victoria’s Chief Health Officer. This means that LDH volunteers must be vaccinated in accordance with the Order (subject to any applicable exemptions) and provide their employer with their vaccination information, as a condition of their volunteering at LDH. LDH will not be able to proceed with applicants who do not comply with the Order. All information provided to LDH in compliance with these directions will be treated as sensitive information and managed in accordance with the Privacy Act of 1988.
The successful applicant will be required to satisfactorily complete background screening checks.
The Lost Dogs’ Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.