Animal Attendant - Part Time (23 hours per week) & Casual role available
The Lost Dogs' Home is one of Victoria’s most iconic animal welfare organisations, caring for thousands of lost and abandoned dogs and cats each year. We are a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to providing outstanding care to animals who find their way to us.
We have an opportunity for a Part Time & Casual Animal Attendant to join The Lost Dogs’ Home at our Cranbourne site. The role of the Animal Attendant is to ensure the animals in the shelter are provided with the highest level of day-to-day care, which includes cleaning, feeding and animal enrichment.
We are seeking driven, enthusiastic individuals, who have previous experience working in a similar animal handling role. The successful candidate will be willing to work a rotating roster, including weekends.
Key responsibilities include:
- General handling and husbandry of our shelter animals, including cleaning, feeding and enrichment
- Driving jobs, including transporting animals between shelters and council pounds
- Identifying and reporting animals that are ill or have behavioural issues
- Assisting members of the public with lost and found inquiries
- Liaising with the general public and council officers
- General cleaning and maintaining of the shelter, including laundry and vehicles
- Maintaining up-to-date records of all impounded animals
- Maintaining food stock levels
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- Experience working with animals in a professional capacity
- A recognised animal-related qualification/s (desired)
- Excellent customer service skills
- A current driver's licence
- Sound emotional maturity and ethics regarding animals and their welfare
- The ability to display initiative and motivation
- A reasonable level of fitness and the ability and motivation to work in a physically demanding role
What you will get in return:
- Fantastic career development and opportunities to develop skills in shelter animal care
- Discounts at our vet clinic, Frank Samways Veterinary Clinic
- Support and financial assistance for approved studies and developmental activities
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program and onsite counselling service
- Access to the Foster Care Program
- A unique and friendly working environment (surrounded by animals!)
- Rewarding work with animals in need
If you have the skills, experience and enthusiasm to be successful in this role, please click on the “Apply” button, ensuring you have attached your cover letter and current resume in Word or PDF format. Please specify if you are interested in a part time or casual position.
COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Orders
LDH vworkers are considered to be ‘veterinary and pet/ animal care workers’ under the COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (General Workers) Order (Order) issued by Victoria’s Chief Health Officer. This means that LDH workers must be vaccinated in accordance with the Order (subject to any applicable exemptions) and provide their employer with their vaccination information, as a condition of their volunteering at LDH. LDH will not be able to proceed with applicants who do not comply with the Order. All information provided to LDH in compliance with these directions will be treated as sensitive information and managed in accordance with the Privacy Act of 1988.
The successful applicant will be required to complete satisfactory background screening checks.
The Lost Dogs’ Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.