Shelter Veterinarian – Full Time/Part Time/Casual
The Lost Dogs' Home (LDH) is proud to be Australia's largest animal shelter, helping thousands of lost and abandoned animals each year. We are a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to providing outstanding veterinary care to animals who find their way to us and have been serving the community for over 100 years.
A typical day looks like:
With no client involvement, you will have the opportunity to diagnose and manage cases independently. You will work with a diverse range of cases and have the continuity of seeing them through from start to finish as animals progress along their journey with us.
You will complete complex workups on shelter patients, collaborate with our veterinary behaviour team, perform surgery and have the opportunity for further development in the unique area of shelter medicine. In addition to caring for shelter animals, you will have the chance to treat privately owned pets, with the team at our Frank Samways Veterinary Clinic, which runs as a separate commercial entity.
You will be part of a knowledgeable and supportive team environment where our vets are encouraged to develop their special areas of interest and learn new surgery techniques. Our shelter veterinary team works in collaboration with our in-house veterinary behaviour team and Melbourne University veterinary students, and has access to external veterinary specialists for additional support.
We are looking for an experienced Veterinarian who is excited to work in a busy, constantly evolving environment, and is looking to use their skills and knowledge to make a difference in the lives of shelter animals. Additionally, you will have:
- Minimum 2 - 4 years of previous experience as a veterinarian
- Well-developed soft tissue surgical skills
- Sound emotional maturity and animal welfare ethics
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership skills and ability to delegate tasks effectively
What we can offer you
- Opportunity to diagnose and manage cases independently with no client involvement
- Fantastic career development with the challenge of shelter work and extensive opportunities to develop skills in animal welfare and the unique area of shelter medicine
- Great work-life balance, an RDO each week, one in four weekends and no after-hours work
- Excellent remuneration, including support and financial assistance for approved studies and developmental activities
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program, including an onsite counselling service
If you are interested in the excitement and challenges of shelter medicine and want to use your skills and experience to help improve the wellbeing of pets in need, we would love to hear from you! Please apply now!
The successful applicant will be required to complete satisfactory background screening checks.
The Lost Dogs' Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.