The Lost Dogs' Home (LDH) is proud to be Australia's largest animal shelter, helping thousands of lost and abandoned animals each year. We are a not-for-profit organisation that has been serving the community for over 100 years. We are dedicated to providing compassionate veterinary care to all animals who find their way to us.
Based at our North Melbourne location, the Behaviour Trainer – Post Adoptions will work on a Part Time basis as a member of our Pet Squad team, The Lost Dogs’ Home’s specialised behaviour training department.
The Pet Squad team offers individual behavioural consultations and group training classes, including puppy classes. This role will also provide post-adoption advice to the clients of The Lost Dogs’ Home.
Our Behaviour Trainers practice and teach force-free, positive reinforcement-based training methods, and you will be responsible for practicing this method of behaviour training. This role will also be working closely in conjunction with our Shelter Behaviour Trainers and dedicated Behaviour Veterinarian.
Key responsibilities include:
- Design and facilitate positive-reinforcement group training classes including puppy preschool, adult classes community classes in local parks (including weekends and evenings)
- Undertake private consults for clients, providing best practice behaviour and training advice across a wide range of issues for both dogs and cats
- Develop and run behaviour training webinars/seminars for members of the public, foster carers and internal LDH staff
- Provide behavioural advice and guidance to internal and external stakeholders
You will have:
- A relevant qualification in dog training or canine behaviour
- A commitment to running positive-reinforcement group classes
- Excellent customer service and relationship building skills
- Ability to confidently provide training and behaviour advice to clients
- Relevant dog training and behaviour experience
- Flexibility to work on weekends
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
What we can offer you:
- Unique behaviour training role, supporting a great cause
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program and onsite counselling service
- Discounts at our Vet Clinic Frank Samways
- Friendly, passionate and supportive team
- A rewarding job opportunity, using your training skills to help change the lives of animals
If you are an experienced, enthusiastic Behaviour Trainer, please apply online today. If you have any questions regarding this role, please email email@example.com.
COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Orders
LDH volunteers are considered to be ‘veterinary and pet/ animal care workers’ under the COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (General Workers) Order (Order) issued by Victoria’s Chief Health Officer. This means that LDH volunteers must be vaccinated in accordance with the Order (subject to any applicable exemptions) and provide their employer with their vaccination information, as a condition of their volunteering at LDH. LDH will not be able to proceed with applicants who do not comply with the Order. All information provided to LDH in compliance with these directions will be treated as sensitive information and managed in accordance with the Privacy Act of 1988.
The successful applicant will be required to complete satisfactory background screening checks.
The Lost Dogs' Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.