Casual Animal Ambulance Driver (shift work including overnights)
The Lost Dogs' Home is one of the country's largest animal welfare organisations, caring for more than 20,000 cats and dogs each year. We pride ourselves on employing skilled and qualified individuals who demonstrate a strong personal connection with animals, the community and the cause.
About the role
The Lost Dogs' Home currently provide a casual and after-hours (overnight) animal ambulance service in North Melbourne and surrounding areas to ensure lost and inured animals are collected safely and transported to our animal shelter. We are looking for candidates who have exceptional animal handling skills, flexibility and commitment to work a rotating roster, including after hours and weekends.
This integral role is critical to our success as a leading animal welfare organisation. In this role you will be responsible for ensuring that domestic animals and livestock are safely transported to the appropriate holding facility.
Key responsibilities include:
- Receiving jobs via the council's after-hours service and acknowledging them in a timely manner
- Attending to stray, contained, injured and wandering large domestic animals and livestock within your allocated area
- Confidently handling all animals to ensure their safety and welfare
- Liaising with members of the public, council representatives and other external stakeholders, including the police and veterinary clinics, both in person and via telephone
- Accurate report writing, with a strong focus on attention to detail
- Checking and maintaining equipment and vehicle
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- Certificate in Animal Studies and/or relevant qualifications (desired)
- A current drivers' licence, held for over 1 year, with a proven track record of safe driving
- Excellent animal handling skills including confidence with high risk dogs and livestock
- Experience working with animals in a shelter type environment (desired)
- Flexibility to work after various hours, overnight, weekends and/or public holidays
- Have a good telephone manner, strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong self-motivation and confidence to work alone at night, travelling varying distances within set contractual response times
- Exceptional customer service and problem-solving skills
- A passion for animal welfare
What we can offer you
- Fantastic career development and opportunities to gain skills in the diverse field of shelter work
- Attractive hourly rate and penalty rates for after hours and weekend work
- Discounts and benefits at our vet clinic, Frank Samways
- Unique and supportive work environment, surrounded by animals!
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program, including an onsite counselling service
If you are looking for an opportunity in the animal welfare industry and this job is of interest to you, please click on the “Apply” button, ensuring you have attached your cover letter and current resume in Word or PDF format. If you have any queries about this position, please email email@example.com
The successful applicant will be required to complete satisfactory background screening checks.
The Lost Dogs’ Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.